Spectroscopy is one of those topics where having a cheat sheet is a must! So, we thought we’d put together a few spectroscopy cheat sheets devoted to the:
- infrared spectroscopy (IR),
- hydrogen and carbon nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR), and
- mass-spectrometry (mass spec)
In our spectroscopy notes, go over the important values for the corresponding shifts and stretches, NMR chemical shifts, and various splitting patterns and spectra interpretation. We also go over the general idea of how to approach the spectroscopy questions.
Our spectroscopy notes and cheat-sheets contain:
- C-NMR (2 pages) with thorough description of the technique and what the C-NMR spectra tell you.
- H-NMR (5 pages) with a detailed description of the splitting patterns, first order and complex splitting, integrations, and fundamental spectra interpretation approaches.
- IR (2 pages) with a description of fundamental vibrations and the spectral regions where those vibrations are observed.
- Mass Spectrometry (2 pages) with a detailed description of all fundamental fragmentation patterns including McLafferty rearrangement.
- Spectroscopy Reference Tables (2 pages) ideal for printing out and sticking under the cover of your organic chemistry binder for a quick reference.
Click on the picture above ↑ to see a full resolution sample of our spectroscopy notes.